Monday, January 28, 2013

Country Selection

GERMANY


      An unknown number was calling me at 8:30 on Saturday night as I was settling down to enjoy an incredibly greasy burger and a chocolate milk shake at a diner in Washington D.C. (more on that later).  I picked it up and the second that I heard my YEO on the line, I was positive he was calling to tell me my country.  You see, back home in Detroit, my friend Grace had spent the whole day with exchange students at the auto show and ice skating at Campus Martius, and had been texting me that our multi-district Central States was having a  meeting this weekend to hash out the details of where we're all headed.  I wasn't expecting answers from this conference for a few days so that made the call even more exciting!  After a life time of small talk (okay, maybe 30 seconds) Mr. Sincock told me that I would be going to Germany!  I still won't know my district for awhile but I'm so thrilled that I will be going to Germany that I don't really mind waiting to find out which of the 14 districts I will be placed in!  Germany was my first choice because I've been taking German in high school and I have met quite a few very friendly Germans in my time.
Here's a map of all the Rotary districts in Germany
     So other than learning my host country, this weekend was still amazing because I spent it in the wonderful city of Washington D.C. participating in the 40th March For Life.  The point of this movement for anyone who has not heard of it is to protect the unborn and their mothers and overturn Roe v. Wade.  As it so happens, Germany has some of the most progressive laws on abortion in the world, another point that makes me proud to call it my host country!  One of my favorite speakers, the prominent Pro-Lifer Ryan Bomberger, was adopted as a baby.  His was not a normal adoption case though.  He was a child of rape, and his mother courageously chose life for the baby that came to her in such a horrific way.  His story was moving and helped show the truth that a child conceived of rape is no less human than the rest of us.  His website, www.toomanyaborted.com, is a wonderful source for information on abortion and adoption.  I know this doesn't pertain to exchange, but this blog is about my life while I am involved with exchange, not about exchange while it's involved in my life.  I urge you, no matter your views, to educate yourself on abortion, for it truly is the human rights issue of our time.

Auf Wiedersehen!

~M

2 comments:

  1. Hi ! I saw your blog on cultures shocked. I went to France with rotary a few years ago.

    That sounds so exciting, finding out your host country!! I remember when I got the call saying I was going to france. I was really excited. Just wait until you find out about your host family :)

    I have been making a website for exchange students since I got back from France, so feel free to check it out. There is a page for advice for other exchangers, if you ever feel like adding to it or taking a look. The page is at http://www.study-abroad-secrets.com/study-abroad-advice-submissions.html .

    Congrats again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds like a great idea, I will definitely check it out!

    ReplyDelete