Sunday, April 14, 2013

Packing List

       I have a stress, and that stress is packing.  How do I fit a years worth of clothes plus host family gifts into one suitcase and a carry on?!  Plus, what will I be trying to bring home two summers from now that I need to leave space for?  I'm usually pretty good at packing sensibly, but this is just crazy.  To relieve some of this stress, I decided to start my packing list.
       I'm a big fan of lists, but I have found that it is a common misconception that list makers are organized people.  I am telling you now, that is not true. Though I may make neat, structured lists, the frequency with which I lose them is very high.  So when I started to make a packing list 3 and 1/2 months in advance, I knew there was no way it was going to last until July.  Then it hit me!  Put the list on my blog!  This way I can't lose it, I can still edit it, and maybe I'll even have some helpful readers jump in with a suggestion or two as to what I'll need!   So please, give me all your wisdom as to what I absolutely have to have, and what should stay here in Michigan.  So without further ado, I'd like to introduce:

Mary's Super Duper Packing List

  1. Large American flag
  2. Host family gifts
  3. Banners from Northville Rotary club
  4. Pins
  5. Large rolling duffel bag
  6. Carry on bag
  7. Backpack
  8. 2 simple dresses
  9. 2 pair jeans
  10. 1 pair leggings
  11. 2 pair thick tights
  12. 2 pair shorts
  13. Favorite pair of fuzzy sock
  14. Laptop (This is still a very contested item.  If you have any experience with the worth of having a computer on exchange, please chime in!)
  15. Large jar of peanut butter
  16. Running shoes
  17. Sandals
  18. Leather boots
  19. Converse (Trying to cut down on shoes is so difficult)
  20. 7 shirts
  21. 2 scarves
  22. 2 cardigans
  23. Rotary Blazer
  24. Winter jacket
I still don't know exactly what luggage I'll be taking so I may have way less or way more space than all that stuff would require.  At the moment I'm trying to figure out how to maximize the amount of clothing I'll wear on the plane.  Not too bad a look, right??

This would be so much easier if I wasn't leaving at the end of July when it'll be 90+ degrees in Detroit...

~M

8 comments:

  1. Hi Mary! I'm Maria, from California. I'm going on an exchange to Germany this year. I was browsing through blogs and stumbled onto yours, I really like it!
    I don't want to bore you with nonsense about myself so if you're ever wondering, this is my own blog;
    http://liebe-germany.blogspot.com/

    I decided to comment because of this particular post. I'm also anxious on the packing. I feel like I suddenly developed a close relationship with each piece of clothing and now there's no way I can leave even one behind. My mom (with enough clothes to dress village) understands my pain so she said I could pretty much take everything but I'll be burdened with lugging around two huge suitcases plus everything else I can carry.
    I definitely suggest taking your laptop, especially if you're like me (I spend a lot of time on it and have tons of programs and software I just can't part with).

    Do you have a strict limit on how much you're allowed to bring? I'm going through AFS and they said they recommend 44 lbs, but if I can carry my own load, then I can bring more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Maria!
    ugh the dreaded packing list...I know the feeling!
    Rotary doesn't place any restrictions on me but I'm trying to put restrictions on myself. For starters, I only get one 50 pound bag for free otherwise I start paying. Also, everyone I've talked to says they often end up taking too much and leaving a ton of stuff there, and I'd rather avoid that.
    As for the computer, I think I am taking one. We hosted someone who spent all their time on it once and that was really bad, but since I've seen how harmful they can be to exchanges I think I'll be able to control my use!

    Do you know where in Germany you'll be?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm also a bit worried about taking too much, but I think I'd rather over-pack and be well prepared than spend money on clothes there. Europe is expensive throughout so I'll need to be conscious of how much money I spend.

    And it's true that computers can be a distraction, but if we use them only when needed, then it shouldn't be that big of a problem.

    I have no idea yet as to where I'll be placed. I could receive my host family and placement within a week or within 3 months, so I don't have an exact idea. :/

    How well do you know German? I've signed up to several sites already but it's a bit hard to really push myself into it as there's so much testing and work going on at school right now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope you find out soon! I've been taking German in high school so I have the basic understanding but I need a LOT of work. I was trying to use duolingo but I've been pushing it off lately too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooh, so a head start? That will definitely be handy, even if it doesn't seem like it at first.

    Do you know when you'll get your exact placement?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could get my family anytime from now until July, but I know I'll be in the Northwest corner of Niedersachsen!

      Delete
  6. And I could get my family from now up until my departure date. Gahh..a bit anxious on that. You know, your replying speed is scary, every time I check back, you already replied to the previous comment aha.

    Anyways, thank you for keeping up with my questions. I'll be adding your blogs to my favorites so I can check back on how another exchanger goes through her trip.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope you find out soon! Of course I missed the reply this time haha. It'll be fun to watch all the different stories unfold on the exchange blogs!

    ReplyDelete