Monday, November 5, 2012

Interview of a life time

Sooooo... Interviews.

I had them this Saturday, November 3rd.  My dad was running a little late because he had been on a church retreat and was leaving early to come to my interview.  Trying to explain the concept of a church retreat to the inbound girl from Brazil was...interesting.  But it helped give me an idea of what I have to look forward to while I'm on exchange!  The whole thing went off without a hitch from there! Well, mostly.  There were a few questions I wasn't prepared for like "What's your favorite international current event?" uhhh what? They then clarified by just asking if I watch the news much so I talked about some current event stories I had recently heard and stuff.  That was probably one of the worst answers I had.  They also asked who I look up to and I talked about my parents and then they asked for someone I didn't know who I looked up to.  Again, that put the brakes on my thoughts! I normally look up to people who I know on a personal level not a faceless name that's attached to some great deed.  That's just me though so I sort of explained that and then talked about some lessons I had learned from people I did know.  I was scrambling at parts but my best answers came when I thought for a second and then just calmed down and spoke.  That's my nugget of advice for all of you future exchangers reading this!

Next was the parent and student interview which was fast and easy, all the questions were for my parents.  Then I left and talked to Grace while my parents talked to the panel.  Apparently the interviewers told my parents they were impressed with me so that's good, right?  There was one other girl there with us and another one came in with her parents when we were leaving.  Over all I think there were supposed to be 6 interviews Saturday and then an unknown amount on Sunday over in Windsor for the Canadians.

After interviews, Grace and I drove an hour down to the state finals for cross country.  We missed the race unfortunately but were able to congratulate our teammates and of course take a crack at the all important food table!  The team took 5th which was our seeded place, and everyone was happily satisfied with the result.  On the drive home, Alex came with us and we made many detours to see cows, sculptures, and grab some more food!  We took plenty of pictures on the way as well...

My new cow friends and me

Grace and me in a barn
Grace and Alex at the cafe we stopped in!
Isn't that tea pot adorable?

 It all ended up being a super fun weekend and I was busy enough that I didn't think too much about the final acceptance for Rotary.  Come Monday morning though, that was all I could think about! It all seemed nearly official before the interviews but now that I have to wait for the word, everything is feeling much more up to chance!

 Ahhhhh waiting......again......



~Mary

No comments:

Post a Comment